The Singapore Island Country Club (SICC) is Singapore’s most established and grandest golf and country club in Singapore with premium facilities. With a rich history and strong camaraderie among its members, the SICC offers a challenging and enriching environment for those who aspire to excel in the hospitality industry.
We invite suitably qualified candidates to join us as:
Director of Agronomy
Reporting directly to the General Manager, his responsibilities cover the operation of all golf course maintenance, and partnering with contractors in building or redeveloping courses. This includes turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, scheduling/maintenance or irrigation systems, chemical applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues at all courses.
The candidate works to create an environment where Course Superintendents, Supervisors and staff are fully involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests, associates and the property which will include but not limited to:
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of golf course maintenance and construction; drainage and irrigation systems; the methods and materials used in the planting and maintenance of turf; the operation, use, and repair of light and heavy motorized construction and maintenance equipment.
- Responsible for initiating and overseeing golf course improvements, maintenance and operating golf facilities.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all courses machinery and golf buggies.
- Sets and communicates short, medium and long term course improvement plans.
- Works with project teams and consultants in the redesign and/or rebuild of golf courses.
- Leads, directs & plans all construction and maintenance work in a manner to least interfere with golf play.
- Manages course operations and makes decisions and communicates with golf operations as to playability of courses including inspection of courses for effectiveness of maintenance activities.
- Regular review of course playing conditions to determine effective methods for maintenance crew to correct problems, drainage, green, and fairway condition, and to control fungus and weeds.
- Maintains and presents the golf courses (greens, tees, fairways, bunkers and landscape) to the highest standards.
- Plan and lay out the construction of new greens, tees, and fairways and assign use of equipment.
- Receive and investigate complaints and reports of repairs and work needed and determine required action.
- Assist and provide information to ensure that all relevant information is covered for the redesign or rebuild of golf courses.
- Hire, train, coach and discipline the golf grounds team. Determine and maintain adequate departmental staffing.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Provides detailed annual plan for the various property levels and the designated landscaping areas. Includes rotational design to provide facility with fresh, eye-catching, interesting and pleasant atmosphere.
- Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
- Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within the Club’s safety, governmental safety guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the course’s grounds in compliance with all statutory requirements.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains accurate records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance programmes around play to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members’ golfing experience and play.
- Prepares and revises grounds manual.
- Effectively communicates and participates in relevant committee meetings, providing monthly courses updates/news to Senior Management and Members’ on current and future maintenance activities.
The ideal candidate will be senior, highly experienced hospitality management professionals with:
- Degree or certificate in Turf Management or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science or agriculture with at least 10 years’ related experience in a supervisory role in golf course maintenance operations or related field.
- Excellent knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
- Excellent knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Excellent knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Good knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
- An eye for detail to ensure quality control for tasks and highly motivated, quality driven and results oriented individual.
Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Positive attitude towards fostering teamwork among associates in support role.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to lead, motivate a large team of staff, adapt, embraces strong cultural diversity, work in multi-ethnic teams and commence immediate employment or within short notice will be an advantage.
Strong administrative skills, the ability to work in team and above all, a favourable attitude towards working in the field.
- Suitably qualified candidates are invited to email your detailed resume indicating qualifications, working experience, current and expected remuneration package, available commencement date, and contact number to us.