Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, United States: The 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am will be played without the traditional multi-day pro-am format due to local Covid-19 circumstances in the Monterey Peninsula.
The professional portion, featuring 156 players, will be played as scheduled from February 8-14 and will be held on only two courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links and Spyglass Hill Golf Course.
“We are incredibly grateful for the commitment of our title sponsor AT&T, corporate partners, PGA Tour, Pebble Beach Company, Monterey Peninsula Country Club and volunteer community,” said Steve John, Tournament Director and Monterey Peninsula Foundation CEO.
“While we will truly miss watching the actors, musicians, athletes and other amateur participants that make this event so special, we are pleased to continue on with the professional competition, enabling the Foundation to support non-profits in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties. Our charitable giving will target basic needs like food insecurity, educational inequities and health inequities brought on by the pandemic,” he added.
The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, which is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2021, had previously announced spectators will not be on-site at this year’s event. Through the unwavering support of AT&T, the second-longest running title sponsor on the PGA Tour, the tournament will continue to maximise charitable contributions in the area.
Since 1947, the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am has generated more than US$176 million for charities in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties.
“While the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am may look different, AT&T is proud to continue our legacy of supporting the Monterey Peninsula Foundation and is committed to ensuring a positive impact on the local charities who benefit from the tournament proceeds each year,” said Lori Lee, CEO of AT&T Latin America and Global Marketing Officer.
“It’s unfortunate that we won’t be hosting the amateur portion of the tournament, but the safety of the fans, the players and the volunteers is our top priority. We look forward to welcoming the fans and the amateur players back next year,” added Lee.
In addition, a pro-am will be conducted Wednesday morning to support local charitable giving. The ‘Every Shot Counts’ pro-am will allow participants the opportunity to help drive grant-making by targeting four key initiatives. Every dollar contributed will be invested by Monterey Peninsula Foundation in critical areas brought on by the pandemic.
Over the last five months, the PGA Tour has hosted Wednesday pro-ams, an integral part of tournament week. With a limited number of amateur participants, the pro-am is conducted in accordance with a comprehensive health and safety plan, including Covid-19 testing.
Since the tournament moved to the Monterey Peninsula in 1947, the final action has unfolded on the iconic holes of Pebble Beach Golf Links. The tournament plans to return to the traditional pro-am format – conducted over three courses – in 2022.
“This was a very difficult decision, but the right one given the recent surge in Covid-19 cases,” said Bill Perocchi, Chief Executive Officer of Pebble Beach Company.
He added: “Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have put the health and safety of our guests, employees and community first. We know this will create challenges for many local charities this year, but we are confident that the incredible giving associated with this event will continue well into the future.
“We appreciate the support from Monterey County and the State of California in helping to ensure a safe and successful professional tournament, as well as from our partners at AT&T, the PGA Tour and the Monterey Peninsula Foundation.”
Tyler Dennis, Executive Vice President and President, PGA Tour, said: “The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am’s line-up of celebrities competing with the PGA Tour’s best players with the Monterey Peninsula as the backdrop has been a perfect marriage of sports and entertainment since 1947.
“The PGA Tour and our partners have maintained that the health and safety for all involved with our events and the communities in which we play is our number one priority, and for that reason – together with AT&T, the Monterey Peninsula Foundation and Pebble Beach Company – we feel strongly this decision, while difficult, was the right call to make given the current environment.”