Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: The Malaysian Golf Association (MGA) has confirmed that golf competitions can resume across the country with immediate effect.
The announcement came in the wake of a July 10 Government missive that competitions for non-contact sports would be allowed from July 15 and subsequent verification by the National Security Council.
Speaking late last week, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that local tournaments for non-contact sports could be staged from July 15, but without spectators.
The MGA has released an extensive list of recommended competition guidelines for golf clubs and event organisers.
In an advisory published at the MGA website – www.mgaonline.com.my – MGA President Tan Sri Mohd Anwar Mohd Nor said: “All standard operating procedures as set out in the guidelines require to be strictly complied, failing which the golf club and or the golf industry may be subjected to severe sanctions, including an immediate lockdown.
“We urge all our affiliates to ensure that as a golfing fraternity all measures shall be implemented to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, members and guests.”
The news has been welcomed by the Malaysian golfing fraternity as competitions provide a significant revenue source for clubs, event organisers and related suppliers.