Hong Kong: Organisers of the Hong Kong Open have confirmed that the 61st edition of the tournament will take place at Hong Kong Golf Club next month.
Postponed from its original date in late November due to on-going civil unrest in Hong Kong, the US$1 million event, sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the Hong Kong Golf Association, is now scheduled for January 9-12, 2020.
The European Tour will continue to stage the tournament, which is Hong Kong’s longest standing professional sporting event and which will be televised to a global audience.
Spectators attending the first two days of the tournament will enjoy free access to Hong Kong Golf Club, a Golf Course Facility Member of the Asian Golf Industry Federation. There will be free entry for under-21s throughout the week.
With the tournament set-up unchanged, event-goers will be able to enjoy four days of world-class action on the historic Composite Course at Fanling as well as a host of fun and family-friendly activities for fans of all ages in the Spectator Village.
William Doo, Jr, Captain of Hong Kong Golf Club, said: “After the disappointing postponement of last month’s championship, we’re delighted to be able to confirm that the 61st Hong Kong Open will be played in January. The early-year date helps ensure the participation of a number of leading international players, while the Composite Course remains in optimal condition.
“We’d like to thank the Asian Tour, the Hong Kong Golf Association, the Hong Kong Tourism Board, the European Tour and all the tournament sponsors and the many fans from Hong Kong and overseas. We look forward to welcoming everybody to the Club next month.”
Kenneth Lam, President of the Hong Kong Golf Association, added: “The decision to proceed with the 61st edition of the Hong Kong Open in the early new year underlines the commitment of the Hong Kong Golf Association and Hong Kong Golf Club to the on-going development and promotion of the game in Hong Kong and the region. We look forward to welcoming the international golf community back to Hong Kong in January and to showcasing the depth of homegrown talent competing in the tournament.”
Cho Minn Thant, Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Asian Tour said: “We are pleased to announce the 61st Hong Kong Open will now be the curtain-raiser for our 2020 season. As our season-opening event, there will undoubtedly be a strong Asian Tour field with players eager to get their seasons off to a fast start.
“Hong Kong Golf Club has always been one of the favourite stops on the Asian Tour so last month’s postponement was received with mixed emotions from our membership. We look forward to competing again on the storied fairways of Hong Kong Golf Club in cool conditions in January.”
Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour, said: “While we are unable to sanction this edition of the Hong Kong Open due to other tournament commitments, we are delighted to retain an integral role in staging one of Hong Kong’s best-loved sporting events and we very much look forward to returning next November when the 62nd Hong Kong Open will kick off our 2021 European Tour season.”
Star players in the 120-strong field will be announced in the coming weeks.
Tickets are available to purchase via Ticketflap – https://www.ticketflap.com/thehongkongopen. Tickets purchased for the original event from November 29 to December 1 remain valid and will grant access to the rescheduled tournament in January.
The Hong Kong Open has been recognised as an ‘M’ Mark event to help enhance the image of Hong Kong. ‘M’ Mark is awarded by the Major Sports Events Committee, symbolising an intense, spectacular and signature event in the territory sports calendar.