Abu Dhabi: Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A, will be presented with a special Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2014 HSBC Golf Business Forum.
The award, to be handed out at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa from April 28-30, is to recognise outstanding contribution, achievement and leadership in both the game and business of golf.
Past winners include Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Greg Norman, as well as visionary business leaders Dr David Chu, Ken Schofield and Dana Garmany.
George O’Grady CBE, Chief Executive of The European Tour, and Tim Finchem, PGA TOUR Commissioner, were the joint recipients of the 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award.
Dawson became Chief Executive of The R&A, which organises The Open Championship and governs the game worldwide together with the United States Golf Association, in 1999 having previously worked in the engineering industry.
He was appointed President of the International Golf Federation in December 2010. Dawson, who plays to a handicap of three, is the most recent addition to a list of speakers at the three-day conference that includes a host of influential names from inside and outside of the golf world, reflecting the Forum’s position as one of the most anticipated gatherings in the golf business calendar.
Guy Kinnings, Global Head of Golf, IMG, who took ownership of the Golf Business Forum last year, said: “I think everyone in the world of golf will be delighted to hear that this prestigious award will be presented to Peter Dawson at this year’s Forum. His appointment to The R&A as Chief Executive was an inspired choice at the time and his contributions to the world of golf throughout his 15-year tenure are too many to mention.
“For me personally, the major role he played in returning golf to the Olympics was a crucial moment for the game. He is a true ambassador for golf and the sport is all the richer for having him at the helm.”
The event has been running since 2004 and attracts more than 250 golf industry delegates each year ranging from industry leaders to developers, investors and journalists from more than 40 countries.
Latest confirmed speakers include:
– Peter Dawson, Chief Executive, The R&A
– Barney Francis, Managing Director, Sky Sports
– Stephen Nuttall, Senior Director, Sports, YouTube EMEA
– Dr Geoff McGrath, Managing Director, McLaren Applied Technologies
– Giles Morgan, Global Head of Sponsorship and Events, HSBC
– Antony Scanlon, Executive Director, International Golf Federation
– Dana Garmany, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Troon
– Ed Smith, Leader Writer, The Times, Author of ‘Luck’
– Andrea Sartori, Head of KPMG Golf Advisory Practice
– Thimon De Jong, Founder, Trend Interpretation Agency, Whetstone
– Christian Purslow, Founding Partner, Mid Ocean Partners
– Andrew Cotter, Golf Commentator, BBC Sport
– Joe Beditz, CEO, National Golf Foundation
– Guy Kinnings, Global Head of Golf, IMG
– Peter Walton, Chief Executive, IAGTO
– Imtiaz Patel, Group CEO Multichoice South Africa, Supersport
– Rupert Hampel, SVP Head of IMG Media, Golf
– Clair Peterson, PGA Tournament Director, John Deere Classic
– Arto Joensuu, CEO, Dubizzle
– Eric Brown, Global Turf Business Manager, Syngenta
Specialists with expert knowledge and insight will debate how the game will evolve in the 21st century. A mix of panels, keynote presentations and thought leadership sessions will explore topics including the role of next generation digital technology within the golf industry, the influence of data analytics on performance and changing customer behaviour.
Delegates will also be presented with the very latest trends and research findings relating to global golf development, along with interactive debates including industry powerbrokers and innovators.
**IMG is a Charter Member of the Asian Golf Industry Federation.